Monday, February 27, 2012

Fullness of Joy

You will make known to me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever.  Psalm 16:11


Nehemiah 8 is a story of complete restoration for the people of God. Nehemiah returns to restore the walls back up but in the process is also restoring the people of God. There is a clear understanding of what it means to be restored back into His presence. After the wall is restored and the gates are put back in place all the people gather to read His Word. It had been a long time since the people had all come together, men and women and all who could listen with understanding (Neh.8:2).  His Word was read, explained and understood. 


When we take the time to read His Word with a heart that is ready to receive, God will bring us to a place of understanding His Word.  I will never forget the first time I felt Him speaking to me during my morning quiet time.  It was really the first time I knew He was talking to me specifically.  I was going through a devotional book by Amy Carmichael called, The Edges of His ways.  She was taking me through a passage in her book from His Word and as she gave understanding to what it meant to her it was like a light bulb came on in my head.  I got it, I understood, He was speaking to my heart too.  It wasn't her words that touched my heart but it was her explaining of His Word that spoke to me.  Much like when all the people gathered in Nehemiah and the Word was read, explained and then understanding came.  I had been reading my Bible for awhile, but at that time it was just words on paper, but as I committed myself to an understanding, desiring to hear from Him and daily seeking Him, He spoke so clearly that day, that to this day, I remember that exact moment.


I still have those times when I open His Word and don't always come away with a specific message.  But that particular day when He first spoke to me and I understood, keeps me coming back for more.  And He has been faithful to me over the years always speaking to my heart through His Word;   through times of trials, questions on life, rejoicing.  God has been there for me, through His Word.  It is how He speaks personally to me.


The people in Nehemiah 8 realized what they had been missing in their lives when the Word was opened back up and explained to them.  They were in a place of restoration, their hearts were ready and God spoke to them and they understood.  Their first reaction was mourning, maybe because they had missed being in fellowship with Him and felt bad for being so far away from Him, but once told it was a day of holiness and joyfullness they began to celebrate.  With the celebration of God speaking to them the first thing they did was begin to be obedient to what He was saying. 


God's Word will also do this for us.  It can bring about repentance, celebration, and obedience when we seek Him.  His Word is where we find strength, joy and restoration.  His Word brings life!  Open it up, pray and ask Him to bring understanding and make it a "Daily Thing" to meet Him there. 


Your words were found and I ate them, And Your words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart; For I have been called by Your name, O Lord God of hosts.  Jeremiah 15:16


Greater is He that is in me, than he who is in the world,
Gina

 

No comments:

Post a Comment